Monday, July 21, 2008

Movies

This turned out to be quite a movie weekend. Josh & I finally had a Friday night to ourselves (though we did end up going out to dinner with Kelly and David and the kids) and we decided to get our three free rentals at Blockbuster along with a few more. We ended up with 8 rentals and watched two of them that night. The Bucket List was a funny, sometimes sad, always interesting movie that we both decided must be added to our large DVD collection sometime soon. Fool's Gold was a repeat viewing for me as I had seen it in the theaters with my best friend Angela. But it was once again enjoyable, funny and a great re-pairing of Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey. We also decided that this should be added to our collection.

Saturday we had plans to see two movies in the theater, with Kelly & David joining us for both (David's parents babysat the kiddos) and my parent joining us for lunch and the second movie. We saw Batman: The Dark Knight first and it was amazing. Christian Bale is perfectly cast as both Bruce Wayne and Batman, which in my opinion has not been done before. All other incarnations have been good at one or the other, but never both. Heath Ledger as the Joker was chilling, evil, psychotic and definitely the best acting I have ever seen from Heath. All the talk that I've heard about him deserving an Oscar for this role is true in my opinion. Dark Knight was very dark, very suspenseful, and all in all a great movie...well worth the time and money.

We then went to lunch, with Mom & Dad joining us at Daphne's for delicious Greek food (Josh & David got Quiznos from next door). I love Daphne's, specifically the chicken Zestas and pita with fire feta and tzaziki. Yum, yum, yummmmmmy. :) Our second movie of the day was Mamma Mia! This I will discuss in more detail in my next post....stay tuned! :)

That night, all my family joined us for dinner at our apartment where yummy Soya chicken had been slow-cooking away all day. This is one of my Dad's favorite meals...something his mom always used to make. It is a super simple recipe that creates such a delicious dinner served with rice and steamed broccoli or carrots. We enjoyed dinner together, but soon Josh left for work at the restaurant and Kelly & David headed home with their tired and sick little ones. Mom & Dad stayed with me to watch another movie - Definitely, Maybe. This was such a sweet movie with an interesting premise/storyline which I really enjoyed. I loved the actors - Ryan Reynolds, Isla Fischer, Rachel Weitz, and Abigail Breslin. It was a feel-good movie and I'm glad they stayed to watch with me. After they left, I continued on with the movie weekend and watched another movie I had rented that Josh did not want to see - I Can Never Be Your Woman starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd. This was a little cheesy, but also funny and all in all not that bad...but definitely not a movie Josh would like.

We still have a few movies left to watch...something just for Josh (can't remember what it's called - Jumper, I think?), one more for me (Margot at the Wedding starring Nicole Kidman) and two more to watch together (Semi-Pro and something else I forget the name of). :)

I love movies and this was a great weekend for them...it's just so nice to sit back, relax and watch something interesting unfold on the screen. Let's all go to the movies....

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm jealous! I want to see both Batman and Mamma Mia :) It's monsoon season here, so the one time of year that the drive-in isn't a great option. Glad to here the rave reviews, though :)